Sacred Heart Cathedral's student-run newspaper. We've got issues.

The Emerald

The Emerald

The Emerald

“A-Positive” Day

“I’m a little nervous,” commented Mari Ma ’12.  “I’m not,” responded Evan Linsey ’12 as they filled out the forms for SHCP’s blood drive held on October 11, with the help of the Blood Centers of the Pacific.  From the beginning of the blue period until the end of the day, students, teachers, and parents walked in and out of the old gym and donated the most precious fluid in their body: their blood.
The atmosphere was a lively one.  Workers strode around in their white lab coats checking the forms filled out by donors. The workers checked blood pressure, pulse, and a small sample of your blood.  While waiting to be interviewed, Zoe Amaris ’13 explained how she once needed blood while in the hospital, making this blood drive an opportunity for her to return the favor.  “I’m also really excited because it’s my first time!” she enthused.  Once you pass their checklist, you sit on blue reclining chairs until they lean you back.  The final stage before actually donating takes place in those chairs.  Here, a worker finds your vein on the underside of your elbow, setting up the tubes that will tunnel your blood into a pint-sized bag.  Then they stick the needle through your skin and into your vein.  For those who have a fear of needles, the pain lasts for literally about a second.  “I feel really comfortable,” said Chris Rigney ’12 as he was donating.  “I do it to get over my fear of needles as well as to help people.”
The blood immediately begins to flow out of your body and into the tubes.  “It doesn’t feel like anything,” recalled Rachel Salinas ’12,  “But you’re preoccupied with your phone or iPod, so your mind is somewhere else.  Plus, squeezing [the stress balls] helps the blood go faster.”  While you’re sitting there, teachers such as Ms. Rinaldi and Mr. Schmitz go around thanking all of those who are donating.  Once you fill up your bag, they wrap that arm to put pressure on the spot where the needle was located.
Some say that the post-donation time is the best part of the whole experience.  Despite the occasional light-headed feeling, all donors get to drink plenty of water, as well as eat a wide variety of snacks while hanging out with other fellow donors.  “The food here is so much better,” commented Salinas.  “They didn’t have bagels last year.”  As more donors finished up, parents such as Tammy would pass out the various refreshments.  “All I can think about is the people I’m saving.” said Maika Frye ’12.  “I also feel really proud of myself because it’s my first time, and I’m really scared of needles.”  Sitting next to her, Carmen Conroy ’12 joked around saying, “I’m a universal donor, no big deal.”  As the students left the old gym to get back to class, they all had a smile on their face.  When asked why she donates, Presly Chavez ’12 responded with the most prominent motive that many students shared that day: “To save people’s lives.”  As Ms. Buell got ready to leave she said, “It’s really the least I can do [to help out],” and that really embodied what the atmosphere felt like.  Until the next SHCP Blood Drive, the Emerald and the whole school would like to thank all of the donors who each helped save three lives.