Sacred Heart Cathedral's student-run newspaper. We've got issues.

The Emerald

The Emerald

The Emerald

Chocolate and Cheesecake Goodness

Whenever I have to make a quick treat for school parties or a friend’s birthday, my go-to dessert is usually brownies. However delicious brownies may be, sometimes even these traditional sweets need an extra kick of goodness. If you had the same desire to spice up your boring batch of brownies, why not add some cheesecake to the mix!

If you read my previous article about baking cheesecake, you will know that even easy cheesecake has some kinks that make it a bit difficult for most beginners. Have no fear though, because making these treats require only the skills of baking any normal boxed brownies.

So when I make brownies, usually I like to use the Ghirardelli boxed brownies over any other name brand. If you don’t want to spend the money on pre-made mix though, I have included a recipe for the to-die-for brownies that will also work well for these goodies.

The only advice that I would give about these cheesecake brownies is to remember that cheesecake and brownies do in fact rise. Because of this, don’t fill your cupcake or muffin tins too high. I would recommend filling the tins halfway with the brownie batter and then a fourth of the tin with cheesecake. This way, there is a fourth of the tin left to allow the treats to rise.

Also, check the cheesecake brownies often with a toothpick. Cheesecake bakes faster than brownies do so they are at a greater risk to be a bit overdone than the brownies. Ten minutes before they finish, take the cheesecake brownies out. Because the pan is still warm for a while after taken out of the oven, the cheesecake brownies will continue to bake for a few minutes after being removed.

I hope you enjoy these quick and easy treats like all my friends did!

Cheesecake Brownies:

• 1 cup butter
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup flour
  • ½ cup cocoa
  • ½ teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 8″x8″ pan. Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Once melted remove from heat and add sugar, vanilla, and eggs. Blend together. In separate bowl, mix together flour, cocoa, and salt. Add dry mixture to the wet and mix well. Pour into greased pan.

For the cheesecake swirl:
·         8 oz (1 package) cream cheese, softened
·         1/4 cup sugar (you can use 1/3 cup if you want it sweeter)
·         1 egg
Beat the cream cheese and sugar mixture together. Mix in the egg until creamy. Drop by dollops on top of the brownie batter and then swirl using a knife. Bake for 50-60 minutes (mine took about 65 minutes before being completely done).

Source:
“Cheesecake Brownies.” Lovin’ From the Oven. Blog Milk, 21 2009. Web. Web. 6 Jan. 2013. <http://www.lovintheoven.com/2009/04/cheesecake-brownies.html>.