Sacred Heart Cathedral's student-run newspaper. We've got issues.

The Emerald

The Emerald

The Emerald

The Online Code of Conduct

As I log in to Facebook and do what most people would call stalking, I see pictures of a messy aftermath from a party involving alcohol. Like most of our friends on Facebook, I did not know who those people were in the picture, it was however inappropriate. If a student was to do the same thing, should the school intervene? Some school districts already have a student code of online conduct such as the Toronto School District but to what extent can they be involved when it comes to online situations?

We have every single right to post anything we want; most don’t think what they’re putting. Because of this some schools have online code of conducts to prevent such activities to happen. The Toronto District School Board for example has a Code of Online Conduct for students and faculty using technology provided by the school board. In it they list specifically what students are and are not able to do, the obvious things such as going to inappropriate sites and illegal activities. Consequences may involve “…legal action and/or involvement of police.”

Cyber bullying is another issue that students have to deal with online. This problem has risen as social networking increases, cell phone usage, and online activities. According to a statistic on HealthLine.com 42% of teenagers say they have been a victim of cyber bullying, and surprisingly 53% admitted that they have taken part in cyber bullying. Unfortunately only a few states have anti cyber bullying laws. School districts however, are taking steps to prevent cyber bullying. In Dupage County schools are teaming up with prosecutors to create an anti-bullying task force. Consequences vary from suspension and expulsion. In the same study from HealthLine.com 58% have not told an adult about a cyber bullying incident. Its situations like these that call for schools to have more involvement. Though I haven’t heard of cyber bullying in SH, punishments should be made to those who have been involved.

Aside from cyber bullying, online privacy is another serious issue for schools. What should be considered too inappropriate to post online? Should schools become involved with student’s online activities? Anyone should be able to post anything they want, but in all honesty one would have to be a complete idiot to post things that give away personal information or pictures that contain inappropriate content. We are responsible for what we post online and we should be held accountable for whatever happens. I cannot say as to what is considered too inappropriate but my advice for students is that if you think a picture or a statement is inappropriate, then it probably is.

Having a school code of online conduct does have its ups and downs. If we were to have it, it would prevent future cyber bullying from happening. And if a student posts hints that they are posing a danger from others or themselves the school can act quickly to resolve the situation.

“The school should only be involved when there an cyber bullying incident or if a student is in a dangerous situation”, says senior Jessica Medina

The down side to this is that most students would have privacy issues. Facebook andStudent Code of Online Conduct other social networking sites are used to socialize. They may not feel comfortable interacting in when they know that the school could be monitoring them. Like Jessica said, I believe that the school should only be involved in serious situations such as cyber bullying or endangerment. It is important that what we post online is our responsibility and no one elses.