Sacred Heart Cathedral's student-run newspaper. We've got issues.

The Emerald

The Emerald

The Emerald

Have a Ball with Oreo Truffles!

When I was younger, I always ordered cookies and cream ice cream from the candy shop. Although my favorite ice cream flavor has changed over the years, every once in awhile my sweet tooth kicks in and I crave some good old fashioned cookies and cream. But instead of buying a whole carton of cookies and cream ice cream to eat by myself, I thought I’d make everyone in my family a treat while satisfying my cravings. So in the spirit of cookies and cream ice cream, this week I decided to make Oreo truffles!

Like with most of the recipes I use, the steps to making these truffles aren’t time consuming or difficult in the slightest. Also they are quite versatile, so if you decide you don’t like Oreos and would like to use another type of cookie, the recipe is still helpful! Best of all, this recipe only has three ingredients and three steps; pretty simple if you ask me.

Although the recipe calls for a food processor to crumble the Oreos, I found that a blender set on low works just as well. But when the recipe calls for the cream cheese and Oreo crumbs to be mixed by hand, I recommend you follow those instructions. Although a mixer may seem easier and less of a mess, using your hands allows you to get the right texture for the cream cheese and cookie mixture without mixing it too much. Also, you have to use your hands to roll the mixture into balls anyway, so might as well get used to getting your hands a bit dirty.

There is no perfect size for the Oreo balls to be rolled in, so roll them however big you desire. I decided to make smaller balls so that I could have extras to bring to my friends, but any size works. I do recommend using a melon ball scooper if you want consistent sizes with your truffles.

When it comes to the chocolate flavor that you dip your frozen Oreo balls in, think about how sweet you want your truffles to be. I didn’t realize how sweet Oreos and cream cheese would be together, and so white chocolate seemed like the perfect cover to turn there truffles into true cookies and cream delights. But when I took a bite, the sweetness of white chocolate, cream cheese, and Oreo cookies was slightly overwhelming. If I had to redo the truffles, I’d have used dark chocolate or bittersweet chocolate instead.

Well, I hope you have a chance to make these tasty balls of cookies and cream. Not only will they be a crowd pleaser, but they’ll also beat the mess that serving cookies and cream ice cream would create any day!

Oreo Cake Balls

Ingredients:

• 36 Oreo cookies
  • 1 package cream cheese (8 oz)
  • melting chocolate (preferably dark, but also white and milk)

Instructions:

1. Place the cookies in a food processor and pulse it a few times, until thoroughly crumbled.
  2. Pour the crumbs in a bowl and add the cream cheese. Using your hands thoroughly mix the cream cheese in with the crumbs. Roll the dough into 1 inch balls. Refrigerate balls for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
  3. Melt chocolate according to package instructions. Take out the cake balls and dip them in the chocolate one by one. Sprinkle with colored sprinkles if desired. Refrigerate again until chocolate sets.

“No Bake Oreo Cake Pops.” JoCooks: Amazing Recipes. FoodieBlogRoll, 22 2012. Web. Web. 6 Jan. 2013. <http://www.jocooks.com/bakery/cakes/no-bake-oreo-cake-pops/>.