Sacred Heart Cathedral's student-run newspaper. We've got issues.

The Emerald

The Emerald

The Emerald

The Review: 3DS

Nintendo's 3DSDue to my obsessive urge to “100%” a video game the first time I play it, I haven’t beaten a newish game in a while. So, for my first article, I have decided to tackle a piece of hardware known as the 3DS. For those who don’t know, the 3DS is Nintendo’s latest handheld, which lets you play video games in 3D without glasses. Due to its recent price drop to $170, I decided it was the perfect opportunity (here: excuse) to review it.
Let’s start off with some specs. The 3DS is a 3” x 5” x .8” rectangle with two screens, two outer cameras that enable 3D pictures, and one inner camera. The machine has a Slide Pad (think flat joystick) and control pad on the left, the A, B, X, Y buttons on the right, two shoulder buttons, and Home, Start, and Select buttons below the bottom screen, which is the touch screen. The slightly bigger top screen shows off the 3D, which can be controlled by a slider to the right.
Time for the main selling point: the 3D. Don’t expect IMAX from the 3DS. It isn’t eye-popping, and it’s not for everyone. I can have the 3D on max without a problem, but some might need to adjust to keep their eyes from hurting. It’s also incredibly specific. You need to be staring at the screen from a particular angle, or the screen looks odd (which is funny because quite a few of the games require you to move the 3DS around to aim/move). However, these setbacks are none too terrible, and the 3D provides a nice effect, allowing you to better judge distance between objects, something that is much needed in video games (*cough* Rayman 2 *cough*).
Shall we take a peek at the software? The 3DS has a decent quality camera capable of taking pictures in 3D, as well an inner camera for the egomaniacs who need to take pictures of themselves. Needless to say, I use the inner camera a lot. All of your software options (pedometer, notepad, games, MP3 player, system options etc.) can be accessed from the Home menu, the starting point. The 3DS has a bunch of built-in mini-games, such as Face Raiders, where you need to move the 3DS around to aim, and the AR cards, pieces of paper that create full 3D games and images when looked at with the outer camera. 3DS also has an eShop, where you can download games, Netflix, and videos, to play and watch right off your 3DS. The games are also amazing. Graphically, the system is on par with the Wii, and these are just the system’s first games!
Let’s go wireless. A big improvement over the Wii is that you only need one friend code to play ALL your games online. Just see if one of your friends is online and instant Street Fighter shenanigans shall occur. I have no idea how well online works due to the fact that I don’t know anyone with a 3DS. The 3DS also has a spiffy feature called StreetPass. This allows you to swap data with other 3DS’s that you pass by to exchange game data as well as Miis for fun Miini-games! (See what I did there?)
Overall, the system is incredible. 3D effects, horsepower close to the Wii, high-quality Netflix, music, only one friend code per system, and built-in games make this a necessity of a handheld for everyone. That and I REALLY want someone to play with on Wi-fi. I can only play Street Fighter alone for so long, guys!

What’s Coming Up: Starfox 64 3D is coming out Sept. 9, and I will be reviewing that next week! The Tokyo Game Show is also running Sept. 15-18, and that coverage will begin shortly after we’ve all come back from the Walkathon! I am so subtle.