Sacred Heart Cathedral's student-run newspaper. We've got issues.

The Emerald

The Emerald

The Emerald

Republican Presidential Candidates on Evolution

As the Republican presidential race kicks into gear it is important to carefully examine each candidate and form one’s own opinion. However, this task can become arduous with the huge body of information that is the Internet and the plethora of issues facing today’s hopefuls. To narrow down this expanse, we are looking at just one simple issue and collecting a few of the major players’ thoughts on the subject of evolution. While it is obviously not wise to base an opinion entirely off of one idea, one can begin here and continue in this format to compare other-hot bottom issues, such as tax cuts and the debt ceiling.

“Ladies first” and alphabetical order both dictate that we begin with Michele Bachmann, the Tea Party senator from Minnesota. She was elected to Congress in 2006 and recently won the Ames straw poll, an early indicator of support, (Carter). In 2006, Bachmann was asked for her views on evolution and had this to say, “There is a controversy among scientists about whether evolution is a fact… hundreds and hundreds of scientists, many of them holding Nobel prizes, believe in intelligent design,” (Zimmerman). Intelligent design is “the claim that examination of nature points to the work of an intelligent designer, as opposed to the utterly random, naturalistic processes that are taught as part of evolutionary theory,” (Luo).

Next up in the alphabetical list is Newt Gingrich. Gingrich has been entrenched in Congress since 1978 and served as the Representative from Georgia for 20 years, including four that were also spent as Speaker of the House, (“Newt Gingrich 2012”). His views differ from Bachmann’s on the subject of evolution and intelligent design. He believes intelligent design should be taught in schools as a “philosophy” and that “evolution certainly seems to express the closest understanding we can now have. But it’s changing too. The current tree of life is not anything like a 19th-century Darwinian tree. We’re learning a lot about how systems evolve and don’t evolve,” (Wilkinson).

Jon Huntsman is a former two-term governor of Utah and served as President Obama’s ambassador to China and Singapore until recently. He speaks fluent Mandarin and spent time in Taiwan as a Mormon missionary. On August 18, Huntsman sent out the tweet heard ’round the world as he declared, “To be clear. I believe in evolution and trust scientists on global warming. Call me crazy,” (Carter).

After H comes P and with P comes Ron Paul. Paul was active in Congress in the late 1970’s and 80’s before voluntarily leaving in 1984 to return to his gynecology practice. He re-entered the political scene in 1997 representing the 14th Congressional District of Texas and has been present ever since, (“Ron Paul”). In 2007, then 2008 presidential hopeful Paul made this statement about evolution, “I think it’s a theory, the theory of evolution, and I don’t accept it as a theory. The creator that I know created us, each and every one, and created the universe and the precise time and manner, I just don’t think we’re at the point that anybody has the absolute truth on either side,” (Brayton).

Rick Perry is another Texan running for president; he is Texas’ longest serving and current governor. Perry also served three terms in the House as a Democrat before switching to the Republican Party at the end of his third term, (“Perry: President”). At a campaign event in New Hampshire a few days ago, Perry was engaged in a conversation by a mother and her young son. Perry addressed the son, “Here your mom was asking about evolution. And you know, it’s a theory that is out there — it’s got some gaps in it. In Texas we teach both creationism and evolution in our public schools. Because I figure–” The mother interrupted, “Ask him why he doesn’t believe in science.” Perry finished his sentence, “Because I figure you’re smart enough to figure out which one is right.” It should be noted that the Texas school system does not in fact teach creationism or intelligent design in its schools as doing so would be illegal, (Kleefeld).

Mitt Romney is the former governor of Massachusetts and recently disclosed that he had fundraised $18.5 million in the second quarter, (Carter). Romney had a successful business career and in 1984 founded the investment firm Bain Capital, which he later returned as CEO, (“Romney: Believe in America”). During the 2008 presidential election Romney had this to say about evolution, “I believe that God designed the universe and created the universe. And I believe evolution is most likely the process he used to create the human body.” Romney went on to elaborate, “I’m not exactly sure what is meant by intelligent design…But I believe God is intelligent and I believe he designed the creation. And I believe he used the process of evolution to create the human body.” The former governor also said that evolution should be taught in science and intelligent design in “religion class or philosophy class or social studies class,” (Luo).

The S in his name dictates that Rick Santorum should be last in this list. Santorum was elected to the House in 1990, then served in the Senate from 1995-2007, (“Rick Santorum”). He lost his bid for a third-term in 2006 and has been writing columns for the Philadelphia Enquirer and commentating for Fox News, (Carter). In 2005, Santorum went on NPR to discuss his book and had this to say, “I’m not comfortable with intelligent design being taught in the science classroom. What we should be teaching are the problems and holes and I think there are legitimate problems and holes in the theory of evolution. And what we need to do is to present those fairly from a scientific point of view. And we should lay out areas in which the evidence supports evolution and the areas in the evidence that does not,” (“Rick Santorum, ‘It Takes a Family’”).

Each candidate is different, and their views and values reflect these differences. They are products of their environments, hopefully this background helped to understand and inform.

“About Mitt.” Romney: Believe in America. Romney For President, Inc, 2011. Web. 22 Aug 2011. .
“about Ron Paul.” Ron Paul . Ron Paul Presidential Campaign Committee, 2011. Web. 22 Aug 2011.
Brayton, Ed. “Ron Paul Rejects Evolution.” Dispatches from the Creation Wars. ScienceBlogs LLC, 25 Dec 2007. Web. 22 Aug 2011. .
Carter, Shan, etc all. “Jon Huntsman – Former Governor of Utah.” The New York Times. The New York Times Co., 21 Aug 2011. Web. 22 Aug 2011. .
Carter, Shan, etc all. “Michele Bachmann – United States Representative, Minnesota.” The New York Times. The New York Times Co., 17 Aug 2011. Web. 22 Aug 2011.
Carter , Shan, etc all. “Mitt Romney – Former Governor of Massachusetts.” The New York Times. The New York Times Co., 22 Aug 2011. Web. 22 Aug 2011. .
Carter , Shan, etc all. “Rick Santorum – Former United States Senator, Pennsylvania.” The New York Times. The New York Times Co., 13 Aug 2011. Web. 22 Aug 2011. .
“From a Place Called Paint Creek.” Perry: President. RickPerry.org, Inc, 2011. Web. 22 Aug 2011. ”
Kleefeld, Eric. “Perry on Evolution: ‘It’s a theory that’s out there’.” TPMDC. TPM Media LLC, 18 Aug 2011. Web. 22 Aug 2011. .
Luo, Michael. “Romney Elaborates on Evolution.” The Caucus. The New York Times, 11 May 2007. Web. 22 Aug 2011. .
“Meet Newt.” Newt Gingrich 2012. Newt 2012, 2011. Web. 22 Aug 2011. .
“Rick Santorum, ‘It Takes a Family’.” Morning Edition. National Public Radio: 88.5, San Francisco, 4 Aug 2005. Radio. 22 Aug 2011. .
“Why Rick?.” Rick Santorum. Rick Santorum for President, 2011. Web. 22 Aug 2011. .
Wilkinson, Francis. “Discover Interview: Newt Gingrich.” Discover Magazine 10 October 2006: n. pag. Web. 22 Aug 2011. .
Zimmerman, Michael. “Michele Bachmann’s Stance on Evolution Demolished by Hight School Student.” Religion. The Huffington Post, 31 June 2011. Web. 22 Aug 2011.