Sacred Heart Cathedral's student-run newspaper. We've got issues.

The Emerald

The Emerald

The Emerald

The New Face of Hunger

When you hear the words “starvation” and “malnutrition”, an image of homeless people or children of third-world countries might appear in your mind. Unfortunately, there may soon be a new image that will appear alongside those—that of your friends and neighbors. According to Feeding America®, one in six Americans is fighting against food insecurity. As shocking as it seems, even middle-class citizens who make a decent income are suffering from hunger. The recession has taken its toll on everyone, forcing many to choose between paying bills or buying food to feed their families. Even those who can afford food are often not given the option of purchasing fresh produce or healthier choices. Instead, they opt for frozen or canned goods to stay within their budget.

Millions of children go to school without eating breakfast, not because they do not want to eat, but because there is no food at home. Many students agree that it is harder for them to pay attention during class and to focus on their studies on empty stomachs than when they are fed. When asked if he experiences the same difficulties, Tristan Arostegui ‘14, answers, “Yes, especially during classes right before lunch.”

Hungry children are such a threat to our society because those same children are the future. If the young cannot learn because their attention is directed at the pressing uncertainty of a next meal, then it will ultimately affect their tendency towards success when they grow up. These are the men and women who will eventually lead this nation, and this nation cannot afford to jeopardize children’s development because of something as easily rectified as hunger in a country such as this. America is, after all, “the nation of plenty.”

The millennium goal that Barack Obama has reiterated might seem impossible to achieve during these tough economic times, but places like local food banks, food pantries, and soup kitchens assist thousands of families each month. ConAgra Foods, the company that produces many of our household favorites such as Chef Boyardee, Orville Redenbacher, and Healthy Choice, has partnered with non-profit organizations like Feeding America® and Share Our Strength® to alleviate domestic hunger in America.

Not so surprisingly, many people are unaware of this escalating crisis. “I am not aware, at all,” replied Keegan Horton ‘13, a junior at SHCP, in answer to the question of whether or not he knew such a problem was occurring right in his own community. So before you get up to throw away your half-eaten lunch next time, think of the person sitting beside you—they might be going hungry.