Sacred Heart Cathedral's student-run newspaper. We've got issues.

The Emerald

The Emerald

The Emerald

A Familiar Face as Baseball’s New Varsity Head Coach

Official School Portrait of Mr. Gregg Franceschi

It was no surprise when Gregg Franceschi was named as the new Varsity Head Coach for SHC Baseball. Franceschi has been a staple at SHC from his time as a player and alumni to his recent stint as the head coach of the freshman team and faculty member. The alumnus from the class of ‘94 has no shortage of baseball experience for the position, as he served as head coach for Sacred Heart Prep in Atherton for seven years and has more than 20 years of overall baseball coaching experience. When asked about what his past experience as a varsity baseball head coach meant to him, Franceschi told the Emerald, “More than anything it gave me the opportunity to get involved with the players and build stronger relationships with them and their families.” Connecting with his players and families is immensely important for Franceschi. “I want to continue to build upon the tradition. Wins and losses are always important but I want to have deeper connections with the kids and families.” 

Before Franceschi, Brian Morgan led the Fightin’ Irish Varsity Baseball for 23 years. Franceschi cited Morgan as an important mentor for him. “I really learned how to be a good communicator from Coach Morgan, he is a brilliant baseball mind that is always ahead of the curve.” Franceschi wants to build on the tradition that Morgan and coaches before them had built: “I know there is a rich tradition that comes with the program, and that is something that means a lot to me.” 

With his prior experience at the varsity level, Franceschi understands the differences that can come at the varsity level compared to the freshman level. “The competition is more elevated, and there can be more pressure at the varsity level, but I don’t like to use the word ‘pressure’ – I like to use the word opportunity. Everyday we get to go out and have a great opportunity to prove ourselves. Challenges are going to be in everything you do in life, but having the availability to meet those challenges and continue to grow from them – you can’t pass up opportunities like that.” 

Franceschi doesn’t just want to be a footnote in the Fightin’ Irish’s history: building tradition and strengthening the SHC community through baseball are just a few of his goals. “I really want to focus on being more supportive of not just athletes supporting athletes, but athletes supporting the whole community. Anything that is going on where there is another student showing their talents, I want to be there for them so they know there is mutual support around the community, even beyond athletics.” On top of uplifting the SHC community through his baseball program, Franceschi touched on what the program has improved upon in recent years. “Building on the things that really aren’t x’s and o’s, the intangibles, and working with what you have has really taken this program to another level.”

Franceschi’s new reign as varsity baseball head coach begins in the spring of 2024. As someone who has been around the Fightin’ Irish for his entire life, Franceschi will be perfect for the job. “We tout ourselves as always being one big family, three teams, one family. And that family runs over years and years of anyone who has ever worn the Irish across their chest.”

View Comments (1)