Sacred Heart Cathedral's student-run newspaper. We've got issues.

The Emerald

The Emerald

The Emerald

2023 Wrapped: SHC’s Year in Review

Olivia Lombardini ’26
Performances of Sister Act the Musical occurred last year in the theater department!

The Emerald takes a look at some of the most exciting events of 2023 — from VPA performances to sports to the school flooding, it was definitely an eventful year!

Bruce Mahoney Games of 2023

SHC squared off against long-time rival Saint Ignatius Preparatory for the three final games of the 2022-2023 school year, men’s and women’s Basketball as well as Baseball. While SHC came out on top for women’s basketball, SI won the 2022-2023 School Year Bruce Mahoney series. 

The Flood

When returning from a restful spring break, SHC came back to a flood on the underground floor on the DePaul campus. As a result, impacted classrooms were relocated to drier grounds. For example, Mr. Hren’s classes, Scripture 1,2 and World History 1,2, were moved to the library, Old Gym, and even the Brothers’ garage. After much work, the first floor reopened for learning just in time for the new school year. Other spaces were also greatly affected such as the weight room and Coach Peuse’s office.

VPA Performances

As the school year came to a close, the SHC Chorus performed their concert, “Heart of the City,” with classic songs like “Don’t Stop Believing.” SHC Instrumental presented their hard work in their concert “EPIC.” Karina Lee ‘26 told the Emerald, “We played bold and powerful songs such as “My Heart Will Go On” and “How Far I’ll Go.” Finally, “From the Pages,” SHC’s dance recital, drew inspiration from classic books and paired them with popular songs. The theater department showed off their hard work in the school production of Sister Act. The SHC Emerald asked Mr. Morris why he chose this particular musical; he responded, “I chose Sister Act because the show’s message about the power of community and embracing differences resonated with me, showcasing that diverse individuals can come together, find common ground, and achieve greatness. It’s also a San Francisco classic, having been shot here in the city. Its lively storyline, filled with energetic songs and comic mishaps, captivates audiences from start to finish.” Such impressive shows! 

These students are having fun at the Walkathon!

Walkathon

SHC gathered for the annual Walkathon on September 16. After walking the 5K, students celebrated at a barbeque at Lindley Meadow. Can’t wait for next year! 

Homecoming – Ocean Glow 

Glow Sticks Galore! Students danced their hearts away at the annual Homecoming on October 21. Such a fun dance! Can’t wait to see next year’s fun theme! 

Frankenstein

In this play over Halloween weekend, theater director Mr. Morris created an adaptation of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein in collaboration with Ai. Make sure to check out the documentary for more details of the behind-the-scenes!

Students try the tasty snacks at the Snowball Winter Dance.

Snowball Winter Formal

SHC students gathered at the Westin St. Francis Hotel on December 2 to celebrate the annual Winter Ball. Sara Hwang ‘26 describes the environment: “I really enjoyed the entire aesthetic of the dance, it felt almost like a ball and I loved how there was something to do in every corner, whether it’d be taking photos, making an ornament, or absolutely tearing up the dance floor!” Sounds like so much fun!

What Sweeter Music

In this continuation of the SHC Chorus series, the new Choral Director, Ryan Lee, led his first SHC instrumental on December 1. For the first time, the SHC Chorus sang with SHC instrumental on both nights of the show. Great show for both programs! 

The Emerald asked SHC students about their favorite moments from this year and why. Here is what they had to say! 

“I loved the Baseball Bruce Mahoney. I got to hang out with my friends, and it was at Oracle Park which was super cool. I brought my French exchange student to the game and she really enjoyed it.” (Aiko Miyaki ‘26). 

“Frankenstein was my favorite SHC event of 2023 because I was a part of the cast, had a great time being a part of the show and rehearsal process, and made many new friends.” (Alejandra Taylor ‘25). 

The Emerald conducted an online survey, open to all students. Here is what SHC responded with!

“I was able to invite my friend from another school and I noticed that a lot of other students did the same. Since the snowball winter formal was a smaller event compared to Homecoming, it was easier to socialize and meet people from other schools. It was such an elegant event, and I liked that Student Activities gave us an opportunity to attend an off-campus event” (Chelsea Leung ‘26). 

Overall, such a great year throughout all SHC events! Can’t wait to see what is in store for SHC in 2024!