Sacred Heart Cathedral's student-run newspaper. We've got issues.

The Emerald

The Emerald

The Emerald

Let’s Talk Walkathon

Woo Hoo SHCP! This year’s Walkathon was awesome! If you didn’t know, which every student at SHC should, the money we raised through this annual fundraiser is exclusively for us. With this money, the school will be purchasing new equipment for the weight room, providing  scholarships, and many more benefits.

In order to add some pizzazz to this Walkathon Season, Ms. Goldberg teamed up with Student Council and came up with the idea of having student leaders in every Walkathon Homeroom. Students in every grade level competed with one another to raise the most money in order to receive the delicious breakfast incentives offered daily throughout the Walkathon! As we all know, Walkathon homerooms are the core of the students’ donations. Walkathon Student Leaders became a booming success, as the leaders pepped and cheered the students on during their Walkathon process.

The total amount of money we raised this year was $203,950, which exceeded both our goal and total funds raised from last year! Great job Irish!! This sets a new record in walkathon history. Several ways students accomplished this goal was by going around their neighborhoods or asking families for donations, setting up car washes or bake sales, and through the online website “GiveZooks!”

On Friday, September 14, 2012 at the Polo Fields in Golden Gate Park, Freshmen, Sophomore, Junior, and Senior alike, all walked together for this great cause. Big Green, as well as Student Council, helped entertain all classes with dances, games, and cheers. It was a fantastic day for everyone to mingle and walk together in order to help SHCP. Good job everyone on doing your best this year, Irish, and keep it up! It’s been a really exciting year and our accomplishment definitely shows great Irish spirit among our students! Hopefully, next year, we can all break another record for the Walkathon! Let’s go Irish!