Sacred Heart Cathedral's student-run newspaper. We've got issues.

The Emerald

The Emerald

The Emerald

Life Without Facebook

Facebook.

Just say the word and everyone knows exactly what you are talking about. The place to see what others are up to, what events are coming up, or simply stay
connected to people. Facebook gives its users the ability to stay in contact with their friends, wherever or whoever they may be. People can talk to their friends who live down the street, on the other end of the country, or even on the other side of the world. Its users have access information about get-togethers, games, or important news almost instantly. Such an ability has the power to reinforce relationships and help them last over distance and time. Facebook is one of the great innovations that have defined our generation. Practically everyone has a Facebook profile. But, what is it like to not have one? I am one of those few.

With all the positive influence that Facebook provides, it does possess negative consequences. It can distract one from doing something constructive. As a student, having a Facebook can be a huge distraction from academics, studying, finishing homework, working on a project. Having a profile can also
leave personal information to public viewing. Anything posted online can be detrimental to a person’s reputation. High schools and colleges have
been known to search some of their applicants to ensure that they are not presenting themselves in a disrespectful manner. Facebook users have to be
aware of the consequence of what they post on their walls.

As a high school student without a Facebook profile, I find that I do not have to worry about updating my profile or reading about what my Facebook friends are up to. I do not feel the temptation to log on every single day. The absence of the temptation is positive, however, I have come to realize that not having one keeps me ignorant of some facts. I also do not talk to some of my friends as often as I would like. Not having a Facebook profile is one less way I can stay in contact with others.

I asked some of my friends, who do have profiles, about the amount of time they spend on Facebook every day, whether it be updating their own profile, playing games, or browsing through their friends profiles. Their answers varied. Most said that they log on at least once a day. They remain logged on for hours, but are not active on the site for more than a few minutes. A few, however, said that they are on for hours every day. They remain active
on the site from the time they arrived home until they go to bed. Their habit of being on Facebook leaves them less time to accomplish other things. Facebook plays a significant part in the social interaction amongst people. I believe that having Facebook is a privilege that our generation has been fortunate to have, but it is not something that should be taken lightly. With every great invention, there are negative aspects. The key is to recognize these consequences and keep our priorities straight.