Sacred Heart Cathedral's student-run newspaper. We've got issues.

The Emerald

The Emerald

The Emerald

Fun at the Fair

Last week, SHC had its annual Activity Fair. The Activity Fair is SHC’s way of showing off all the clubs and groups that exist within the SHC student community. All of our clubs were ready to go on Tuesday, as they started advertising their clubs with everything they had. (Special props go to Polly Yu ‘13 from the Japanese Club for wearing a kimono to the event!) Needless to say, the students were bright and energetic, and the freshmen I talked to all had multiple clubs in mind. As usual, the SHC Activity Fair was a rousing success.

Of course, I wanted to go a little more in-depth than that, so I asked two faculty members for their thoughts on the Activity Fair and SHC clubs in general.

First up, I managed to grab Mr. Cannon, our principal, and he had this to say about the Activity Fair:

“I think it’s a great tradition here at Sacred Heart Cathedral, a great way to get involved. The education here just happens in the plaza, in the field, on the stage, in the classrooms, everywhere. It’s a great student celebration.”

Then I turned to Mr. Barnes, a moderator for both the Emerald and Oracle. I asked him what he thought of the school’s various publications, and their ability to thrive:

“I think the success of the publications reflects the success of the school. They show what our students can do. They report on what’s going on at the school, in the case of the Emerald. In the case of the Oracle, they show off our students’ creativity. I’m really proud of our publications and what our students can do.”

SHC’s clubs aren’t great because of budget, size, or even kimono-wearing girls (although that was pretty awesome). The students are the ones who make clubs great; we will continue to make them great. After all, that’s why we hold the Activity Fair—to bring great people into our already wonderful clubs.