Sacred Heart Cathedral's student-run newspaper. We've got issues.

The Emerald

The Emerald

The Emerald

Check Out Sports Medicine Club!

Watch out SHCP! Interested in pursuing a path in Sports Medicine, a field in medicine, or, just curious? Want to become CPR, AED (the automated external defibrillator) and First Aid Certified? Then the Sports Medicine Club is perfect and just right for you! Mr. Melero, the head athletic trainer and the Sports Medicine Club moderator, offers valuable information regarding injuries and other health concerns.

Have you recently twisted or sprained your ankle? Then use RICE, the acronym for rest, ice, compress, and finally elevate! At meetings, members learn about the countless symptoms with injuries such as ankle sprains and other injuries that range from concussions to cuts, strains, fractures and lots more, and most importantly, how to properly respond and treat them. Members are engaged and given hands-on experience to apply what they have learned such as wrapping a wrist, or making compressions on mannequins while practicing CPR. Aside from gathering to discuss about these various topics, Sports Medicine Club members are able to work behind the scenes and are allowed the opportunity to watch and assist athletic trainers in case of injuries during the intense SHCP matches, games, meets or other games. Furthermore, the Sports Medicine club teaches responsibility, respect and the ability to take charge when necessary.

The first ever Health Fair will take place during the Blue collaboration period of Thursday May 18thin the cafeteria, where Sports Medicine members themselves, will be open to answer any of your inquiries or questions, so remember to mark your calendars! New members or those who are just curious are always welcome to come to any meetings! Listen to the announcements, as most meetings will be held in the Athletic Training Room on White collaboration periods.