Sacred Heart Cathedral's student-run newspaper. We've got issues.

The Emerald

The Emerald

The Emerald

Simple Cheesecake, Simply Delicious

Although the changing leaves signal the season of fall for most people, it is the sweet smells of pumpkin and spice infused coffee and baked goods that tell me autumn has finally come. Just like most San Franciscans, I’ll be one of those customers waiting at Starbucks for a cup of their seasonal Pumpkin Spiced Latte.

But with all the fall flavored beverages available this time of year, I always want a simple dessert to pair with my drink: the perfect balance of sweet and calm to compliment either a pumpkin spiced coffee or salted caramel hot cocoa.

What is my fix for my craving? Cheesecake.

Of all the desserts I’ve eaten, cheesecake is the one treat which can successfully be paired with every hot beverage I can think of. Without overpowering most fall specials, this rich dessert satisfies hunger with just the right amount of subtlety. Trust me when I say cheesecake is perhaps one of the greatest desserts to be created.

Most people are under the notion that making cheesecake is difficult. Let me be the first to tell you: making cheesecake is actually surprisingly easy! There are only four ingredients necessary to make the filling, and the crust is made just by mixing three ingredients together. If you are in a rush, simply place Oreos on the bottom for a makeshift crust!

When I made the cheesecake, I chose to use individual cupcake tins because it’d be easier to share with my friends (my guinea pigs for every one of my recipes) and I wouldn’t have to make a mess, but either way works fine.

Remember to take out your pan when the center of the cheesecake jiggles slightly to avoid an over-baked, dry cheesecake. To avoid the top of the cheesecake cracking, don’t over mix the batter. When mixing too much, more air gets trapped, and the cheesecake will rise as it bakes and collapse when it cools. When you are making a cheesecake, it should only rise a few millimeters. Even if you do end up cracking the cheesecake though, topping it with some fruits or whatever you so desire will cover it right up.

f you are still hesitant, you should know that this was my very first attempt at making cheesecake and besides one cracking, the results were overall positive.

So make these for friends, family, or simply yourself. With Thanksgiving around the corner, you can surprise your family with your baking skills. Taking the time to make these cheesecakes will be a win-win for you and everyone you share them with. If you don’t want to share, keep them in your fridge and enjoy them whenever. Nothing feels more like autumn when you are curled under a blanket sipping hot cocoa and eating cheesecake.

Cheesecake Recipe (Cupcake-Sized): (makes about 16 cakes)

• 2 pkg. (8oz.) cream cheese, softened to room temperature
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla
  1. Heat oven to 350°F. Beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla with mixer until well blended. Add eggs; mix just until blended.
  2. Scoop about a tablespoon of graham cracker crust into each of the paper-lined muffin cups; top with cream cheese mixture (approx. 3 Tbsp).
  3. Bake 15-17 min. or until centers are almost set, but the cheesecake jiggles when you take them out. Cool. Refrigerate 3 hours.

Graham Cracker Crust:

• 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup melted butter
  • 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (from about 20 squares)
  1. Place graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup sugar, and melted butter in a large bowl; stir until well combined.
  2. Place 1 tablespoon graham cracker mixture into the bottom of each prepared muffin cup. Use the bottom of a small glass to pack crumbs into the bottom of each cupcake liner.

Sources:
·         “Super Easy Mini Cherry Cheesecakes.” Bakerella. Bakerella, 25 2007. Web. Web. 25 Oct. 2012. <http://www.bakerella.com/super-easy-mini-cherry-cheesecakes/>.
·         “PHILADELPHIA 3-STEP Mini Cheesecakes.” Kraft Recipes. Kraft Foods, n. d. Web. Web. 25 Oct. 2012. <http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/philadelphia-3-step-mini-cheesecakes-55102.aspx?tab=recipe>.