Sacred Heart Cathedral's student-run newspaper. We've got issues.

The Emerald

The Emerald

The Emerald

Let’s Rant About Reboots

Hello, friends! Welcome to the newest type of article here on The Joe Show! These articles are called Let’s Rant, and they are essentially times when I just feel like getting something off my chest, so long as it’s related to video games, of course. So today, I’m here to discuss a phenomenon that’s sweeping the industry: reboots.
Before I get going, I should probably describe just what I’m actually talking about. A “reboot” is when you take an old game and slap it on a new console with updated features, or it means you’re bringing back a long-dead gaming series. Whichever one, it means you are making a game that evokes nostalgia for an era of video games that is regarded as the Golden Age (SNES, Sega Genesis, and Nintendo 64 is the rough time gap I’m talking about.) These games are meant to be a message from their respective companies: “Hey, remember these games?! We can still make games like that! We aren’t terrible game designers yet!”
Now, I’m what you would call “new-school”. I grew up with the Game Boy Color in my hands, and the Nintendo 64 was old news after I turned 5. So I may be a bit biased, but you won’t be able to tell, because that’s what you grew up with too! (Life is so easy when you’re writing for people who are the same age as you.) I never grew up with those nostalgic games like Super Mario Bros. or Sonic the Hedgehog. I’ve played them, sure, but I never grew up with them.
Reboots have become the plague of the industry. They are EVERYWHERE. Here’s a small list off the top of my head: Mortal Kombat, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Donkey Kong County Returns, Sonic 4, Rayman 3D, Ocarina of Time 3D, Starfox 64 3D, Super Street Fighter 4 (Arcade or 3D edition, take your pick), Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and Kid Icarus: Uprising. That is a scary amount of reboots.
Don’t get me wrong, I fully appreciate recreating games for new generations to enjoy in higher graphical quality, better sound, and better game play. But there’s a point where it just goes too far. The old games are being offered to the new generation, but what will we have to offer the next generation? We recycle so many games that we aren’t really producing anything new. If this continues, then video games will stop progressing and slowly deteriorate into an endless wheel of constant reboots. I refuse to let that happen, as video games are my thing. Heck, I review them, don’t I? That proves I know what I’m talking about. I think.