Sacred Heart Cathedral's student-run newspaper. We've got issues.

The Emerald

The Emerald

The Emerald

Apple Hermits Recipe

The Apple Hermits Recipe on allrecipes.com is one of my favorite cookies to bake because of its simple, yet overwhelmingly delicious taste! All the items in the ingredients should be easily accessible to the common baker. I recommend you omit the raisins, unless you’re a raisins fan, and the cloves. Seeing as I didn’t have any cloves, I decided to go without and see what crazy concoction would come about. The result was a nice moist cookie with a kick of nutmeg. The cookie itself was divine but having the apples mixed in allows for a nice watering taste in your mouth.

I slightly modified the recipe to allow for a better cookie each time I made them. Decreasing the amount of salt by just a pinch or two really improves the taste, giving it a better balance of flavors. Don’t be scared to play with the recipe and stray a little from it. As long as the ingredient isn’t a core one in the mix it’s fine if you modify it and throw it out or incorporate a whole new ingredient to the mix. Baking the cookies for a little longer will give it that nice crunchy, yet soft taste that most bakers struggle to find.

The finished product was a nice, chunky looking cookie that made my mouth water upon seeing it. A glaze was also available for pouring, but deciding otherwise, I left the cookie as is. Below you can find the original recipe and decided whether or not adjusting it would be best for you.

Ingredients

• 2 cups all-purpose flour

• 1 teaspoon baking soda

• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

• 1 teaspoon ground cloves

• 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1/2 cup softened butter

• 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
    • 1 egg, beaten
    • 1 cup chopped walnuts
    • 1 cup chopped apples
    • 1 cup raisins
    • 2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
    • 1 tablespoon milk

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt in a small bowl.

3. Separately, preferably in a mixer, cream butter until light and fluffy. Mix in sugar and egg.

4. Stir in flour mixture. (Step 2) Fold in nuts, apples, and raisins.

5. Drop by rounded teaspoon onto prepared cookie sheets about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

6. In a small bowl, mix confectioners’ sugar with milk to make a thin glaze. Drizzle over cooled cookies.