Sacred Heart Cathedral's student-run newspaper. We've got issues.

The Emerald

The Emerald

The Emerald

It’s Gleeastic!

On September 20, the popular show Glee returned to our televisions once again to yet again ensnare their vast audience of teenagers.  McKinley High is back in session and after several months, the 3rd Season is starting again with new episodes filled with drama, changes, and lots of new songs.
    The previous season ended with unexpected developments. New Directions traveled to New York City for the Show Choir National Championships to compete against other glee clubs around the country, including their rivals, Vocal Adrenaline. Rachel and Jesse stopped dating, so Finn decided to take his chances to ask Rachel out. However, she told Finn that she wouldn’t let anyone stand in the way of her dream to perform on a Broadway stage. Her dream came true when she and Kurt traveled to the set of the Broadway musical, Wicked, and sang a duet on the famous stage.

On the day of Nationals, New Directions was determined to qualify for the Top Ten show choirs. They performed two original songs, “Pretending” and “Light Up the World”. Their first number, “Pretending”, was a duet between Rachel and Finn who, at the end of the performance, finished by kissing on stage. Next, all of New Directions performed “Light Up the World”, which was given a standing ovation. Vocal Adrenaline also performed an original song with guest star Charice Pempengco in “As Long As You’re There”, a beautiful song that was also given a standing ovation. As the Top Ten list was posted after the competition, New Directions discovered that, unfortunately, they did not make the Top Ten. Jesse, who attended the competition, went on and on about how unprofessional Rachel and Finn’s duet was as the cast returned back to Ohio. 

However, the season did not end on a bad note. Rachel and Finn got back together, and another couple, Sam and Mercedes, has formed. New Directions placed 12th in the competition, and had their final glee club meeting of the year.

The new season started on September 20, 2011. Some of the Glee club members are enjoying their final year at McKinley High and are already planning for college. There are also a few changes between the characters. Mercedes and Sam (who is no longer on the show) are no longer dating. Instead, Mercedes is dating a senior football player. After suffering a heartbreak, Quinn decides to cut and dye her hair. She quits the glee club and is part of a rebel girl club. Mr. Schuester and Emma are dating again, and Lauren has also quit the glee club. Blaine has transferred from Dolton Academy to McKinley High, and has joined the New Directions. 

Still, the glee club does not have enough people to qualify for Sectionals, which requires at least 12 people in the club to participate and compete. To inspire people to audition, Mr. Schuester has set up the Purple Piano Project. This project backfires as the pianos are destroyed; Sue takes one apart and Quinn lights another on fire with her cigarette. Mr. Schuester finds out about this and thinks that Santana was the one who lit the piano on fire.  Santana takes the blame, even though she is innocent, and is banned from the glee club. This episode ends with a group number, “You Can’t Stop the Beat” from Hairspray.

This episode is just the beginning of an amazing season as we watch the characters struggle with college, romance, and solos. Support the McKinley High Glee club by watching Glee Tuesday nights 8/7c on FOX.