Sacred Heart Cathedral's student-run newspaper. We've got issues.

The Emerald

The Emerald

The Emerald

Ib Review

The month of fright and terror is upon us and what better way to celebrate than with a creepy game? Ib is a free survival horror game for the PC and it’s one of the scariest games I’ve ever played.

Ib’s story revolves around a girl named Ib who is trapped in an art museum. As she tries to solve puzzles to escape the museum, various pieces of artwork come alive to attack her. Along the way you meet two other people named Gary and Mary who help Ib escape the museum. Depending on your actions during the game and your relationships with Gary and Mary, you can unlock multiple endings for the game.

Ib’s gameplay, by today’s standards, can be classified as simple. Ib moves around the game with a rose, which represents her health. Every time Ib gets hurt, the rose starts to wilt. When Ib’s rose wilts completely, it is game over for you. Luckily, you can heal your rose with the vases scattered around the game, but because you can only use them once, you must use them wisely. The game is mostly about solving the puzzles around the museum and finding keys to unlock doors with.

The graphics of this game feel a little outdated, like they are from a retro game without any special effects. These graphics do not hinder the game’s scare-factor, however, as many parts of the game are still scary even with the outdated graphics.

The game’s audio consists mostly of music and creepy sounds that add to the fear. The ambiance in the music makes you feel paranoid as you play the game, which makes it all the more creepy.

Another element that makes this game scary is the feeling of helplessness. There is no way for you to defeat the artworks that are attacking you, so all you can do is avoid them. This is sometimes a pain, as these sculptures can be chasing you in a small area or can interrupt you when you are trying to find an item to solve a puzzle.

Overall, Ib is a horror adventure game with a unique story and simple gameplay that gives the player the feeling of fear. Truly this is one of the games that shows us survival horror at its roots. This game can be downloaded for PC here for free.