Sacred Heart Cathedral's student-run newspaper. We've got issues.

The Emerald

The Emerald

The Emerald

How Do You Eat Your Oreo Cupcake?

This past week was my friend Jennifer Lopez’s birthday and I decided to bake for her to celebrate the special day. Because of how easy they are to pass around and their deliciousness, I chose to make her some cupcakes. But what flavor would I make? Seeing as how you only turn seventeen once, I wanted to make her something different rather than going for the normal chocolate or vanilla. Then it hit me: Oreo Cupcakes!

You see, a few days before my parents had bought some Oreo cookies for my little brother’s school event. When I saw the almost empty bag on my counter, I knew I had to make some Oreo cupcakes for Jennifer (As well as buy some more Oreos). With the help of my friend, Sam, I made chocolate cupcakes with an Oreo on the bottom and in the middle. The frosting on top ended up being vanilla buttercream, not only because it is delicious, but also because it is simple to make (When you have homework on a Wednesday night, something simple is definitely preferable).

If you are worried about making Oreo cupcakes, don’t fret! Not only are they quick to make, but most of the ingredients are usually on hand and in your pantry or refrigerator. If you live in a health-conscious house like me you might have to buy some Oreo cookies, but other than that you should be okay. Also, note that while the recipe indicates that the frosting is enough for 24 cupcakes, it was only good for 12. Although I used baking cocoa for these cupcakes, I’ve heard hot chocolate cocoa works the same. Don’t worry if you don’t have any baking cocoa!

Also, remember that when you make the frosting, be sure to let it sit in the refrigerator for at least ten minutes. That way, when you put it on the cupcake it will be nice and clean rather than melty. I know you may be impatient like me, but trust me when I say to wait for the cupcakes to cool down before you put the frosting on top of them. I didn’t, and the frosting was like ice cream on a hot day.

When I brought them to school for Jennifer, not only did she love them, but all my friends did as well. Remember to bake extras because you never know when people will want some. Good luck and good baking!

Oreo Chocolate Cupcakes (From this recipe)
Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup natural unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup hot water
  • 24 Oreos, plus more for crumbs
Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Line tray with 12 baking cups.
  3. Place one whole cookie in each cup or break apart at least 12 cookies and place the broken pieces into each cup.
  4. Mix the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl using a wire whisk.
  5. Add the eggs, oil, vanilla and milk and mix well until thoroughly combined. Add the hot water and mix until combined.
  6. Transfer the batter (it will be very liquidy) to a large measuring cup and then pour batter into each baking cup until they’re about three quarters full. You should have a little left over.
  7. Bake for 16-18 minutes. Makes at least 12 cupcakes

Buttercream Frosting (From this recipe)
Ingredients:

• 8 tablespoons (1 stick/4 oz./113g) butter, at room temperature
  • 3 cups confectioners’ (icing) sugar, sifted
  • 3 to 5 tablespoons milk
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • Food coloring, if tinting frosting

Additions:
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (if making Chocolate Buttercream Frosting)

Instructions: