Sacred Heart Cathedral's student-run newspaper. We've got issues.

The Emerald

The Emerald

The Emerald

Foster the People: An Experience

One of my favorite bands, Foster the People, played at The Fillmore on October 14. Foster the People is an American Indie Rock band that formed in 2009. It consist of three people: lead vocalist Mark Foster, hence the band name Foster the People, drummer Mark Pontius, and guitarist Cubbie Fink. Their most popular song is “Pumped Up Kicks”.

The concert started at eight o’ clock on a Friday night, so I could hardly wait for the school day to be over. I’d never been to a concert before so I didn’t know what to expect. When I arrived with my friend, another huge fan, we were shocked to see so many people waiting to get inside. We took our spot in line and waited in anticipation. The only thing repeating in my head was “WHEN IS THIS CONCERT GOING TO START?” When they finally opened the doors, we were ready to hear the amazing show.

I was a bit disappointed because the band wasn’t going to play until the end of the night. Still, I was pleasantly surprised with the first band that performed, Reptar. I had no idea who they were, except that they were an underground band touring with Foster the People. They were fantastic; the beats of their music were unique and I’d never heard that type of music before. The entire crowd was either dancing or banging their heads. My favorite part of their performance was when they played the song “Houseboat Babies”. The piano player’s hair was swinging and his head was bumping while he played a tambourine. He was so into the music that I thought his head was going to fall off. It was incredible.

The second band to perform was Cults. I only knew two songs from them, but they still didn’t perform as well as I hoped. Everyone in the audience (including me) just wanted to hear Foster the People. After Cults performed, everyone was in anticipation of the main act. I met a girl that had a vast knowledge in rock bands. While talking about bands, I found out that she knew more bands than even I did! We also talked about moshing and how excited we were to see Foster the People. Around eleven o’clock, everyone started going wild and smoke was coming out of the stage.

As Foster the People were arriving on the stage, the crowd went wild. Seeing them, I was so shocked that the only thing I ould to do was scream at the top of my lungs. They were just a presence. Their opening song, “Houdini”, was one of my favorites and, surprisingly, everyone in the audience knew it. Foster the People perform much better live than on my iPod. Their sound was smoother and more intense. I sang along to all the songs except for one, “Ruby”. Even though I didn’t know it, I still thought thought it was cute. One of my favorite parts of their performance was when they performed “Don’t Stop (Color on the Walls)”. The live version of the song was more rock n roll then the album’s, which was more electronic dance. My other favorite part was when they performed “Pumped Up Kicks”. They appeared like they enjoyed performing this song, especially Mark Foster, who started to dance and bang his hand on the piano. It was amazing. When Reptar joined them on stage, it got even better. When the night was over I became sad because I wished it was longer. The concert was so much fun! I’m glad my first concert was to see Foster the People.